On the Reserve
- Game drives
- Guided bush walks, as an alternative to a normal game drive (subject to the whole vehicle option to walk)
- Cheetah tracking (during a game drive, at the discretion of the ranger)
- Star gazing - the Great Karoo has some of the clearest skies in the southern hemisphere, which offer up glittering treasures of the sky.
- Visit to an historic Anglo-Boer War site where the pivotal "Battle of Paardefontein" was fought - it is here that the famous Boer Commander Johannes Lötter was finally captured (the story is related on one of the game drives; further reading material is available in the curio shop)
The following activities are available on the reserve at an additional price:
- Private safari vehicle: R 3 500 per day (day runs from 12h00 on day of arrival to 10h00 on day of departure, subject to availability);
- Scenic helicopter flights with Fly Karoo:
- Scenic flight over the reserve to one of the highest points on the Sneeuberg Mountain Range with a picnic on top of the mountain included. Duration 25 min. Price R 11 150 for 1-4 pax
- Graaff-Reinet scenic flight over the historic town, Spandau Kop and Valley of Desolation, starting and ending on the reserve with a picnic stop included. Duration 45 min. Price R 14 500 for 1-4 pax.
- History of Graaff-Reinet: Includes a scenic flight to/ from Graaff-Reinet and a 2.5 hour historic ground town tour with a lunch stop (lunch for own account). Time 09h00 - 14h30. Price R 14 500 for 1-4 pax + R 615 pp.
- Valley of Desolation: Includes a scenic flight over the Valley of Desolation, landing in Graaff-Reinet, followed by a 2.5 hour ground tour of the Valley of Desolation with a lunch stop (lunch for own account) included and a road transfer back to Graaff-Reinet for flight back to the reserve. Time 09h00 - 14h30. Price R 14 500 for 1-4 pax + R 840 pp.
- History of Graaff-Reinet & Valley of Desolation: a full day outing combining the above two tours. Time 09h00 - 17h00. Price R 14 500 for 1-4 pax + R 1 450 pp.
- Graaff-Reinet History & Nieu Bethesda: Includes a scenic flight to Graaff-Reinet followed by a 2.5 hour historic ground town tour, a road transfer to Nieu Bethesda, lunch (for own account) and a 2.5 hour Nieu Bethesda & Owl House Tour, with a return flight to the reserve. Time 09h00 - 17h00. Price R 19 500 for 1-4 pax + R 1 560 pp.
- Graaff-Reinet flip: For guests already in, or travelling through, the town of Graaff-Reinet. A short 10 minute scenic flip over town, Spandau Kop and the Valley of Desolation. Flight departs from and arrives back at Graaff-Reinet. Duration 10 min. Price R 3 340 for 1-4 pax.
In the area
Enjoy the beautiful architecture, museums and craft shops in the genteel town of Graaff-Reinet (60km)
Tours can be pre-arranged to see:
- Historic tour of Graaff Reinet
- Pre-historic fossil trails and bone collections
- Africa's largest selection of cacti
- The breathtaking Valley of Desolation
- Take a trip to the nearby town of Nieu Bethesda (120km) and visit the famed Owl House where a recluse artist who filled her home and garden with highly unusual cement and glass sculptures once lived.