A stay at Mount Camdeboo includes two game drives per day (averaging about 3 hours each) at optimal wildlife viewing times, namely: pre-dawn and sunset. The vehicles used on the Reserve are purpose-built, 9-seater game viewing Land Rovers. They are SABS safety approved and are equipped with seatbelts, a shade canopy and drink holders. Given that the Camdeboo Manors are nestled in a valley, the game drives typically start with a breathtaking climb up the mountain slopes and on to the plateau above where the animals graze and the world unfolds at your feet.
On the Reserve
- Great Karoo Safari Game Drive:
Our highly knowledgeable and experienced game rangers will try their best to make sure you see our “Camdeboo Big Five”, namely the breeding cheetah pair, the rare white rhinos, giraffe and almost extinct mountain zebra. Not to mention a bevy of birds and smaller lesser-spotted game.
Not forgetting human creature comforts, each drive takes a break mid safari, where guests can tuck in to a picnic basket filled with hot coffee, tea, rusks and other delicious snack delights. In the colder winter months guests are dispatched with hot water bottles, blankets and a dash of liqueur to warm their way.
Wildlife on the reserve include:
Bat eared fox
Black backed Jackal
Cape Mountain Zebra
Cheetah (radio collared)
Gemsbuck / Oryx
- Guided bush walks, as an alternative to a normal game drive (subject to the whole vehicle option to walk)
- Cheetah tracking (during a game drive, at the discretion of the ranger)
- Star gazing - the Great Karoo has some of the clearest skies in the southern hemisphere, which offer up glittering treasures of the sky.
- Visit to an historic Anglo-Boer War site where the pivotal "Battle of Paardefontein" was fought - it is here that the famous Boer Commander Johannes Lötter was finally captured (the story is related on one of the game drives; further reading material is available in the curio shop)
The following activities are available on the reserve at an additional price:
- Private safari vehicle: R 3 500 per day (day runs from 12h00 on day of arrival to 10h00 on day of departure, subject to availability);
- Scenic helicopter flights with Fly Karoo:
- Scenic flight over the reserve to one of the highest points on the Sneeuberg Mountain Range with a picnic on top of the mountain included. Duration 25 min. Price R 11 150 for 1-4 pax
- Graaff-Reinet scenic flight over the historic town, Spandau Kop and Valley of Desolation, starting and ending on the reserve. Duration 45 min. Price R 14 500 for 1-4 pax.
- History of Graaff-Reinet: Includes a scenic flight to/ from Graaff-Reinet and a 2.5 hour historic ground town tour with a lunch stop (lunch for own account). Time 09h00 - 14h30. Price R 14 500 for 1-4 pax + R 615 pp.
- Valley of Desolation: Includes a scenic flight over the Valley of Desolation, landing in Graaff-Reinet, followed by a 2.5 hour ground tour of the Valley of Desolation with a lunch stop (lunch for own account) included and a road transfer back to Graaff-Reinet for flight back to the reserve. Time 09h00 - 14h30. Price R 14 500 for 1-4 pax + R 840 pp.
- History of Graaff-Reinet & Valley of Desolation: a full day outing combining the above two tours. Time 09h00 - 17h00. Price R 14 500 for 1-4 pax + R 1 450 pp.
- Graaff-Reinet History & Nieu Bethesda: Includes a scenic flight to Graaff-Reinet followed by a 2.5 hour historic ground town tour, a road transfer to Nieu Bethesda, lunch (for own account) and a 2.5 hour Nieu Bethesda & Owl House Tour, with a return flight to the reserve. Time 09h00 - 17h00. Price R 19 500 for 1-4 pax + R 1 560 pp.
- Graaff-Reinet flip: For guests already in, or travelling through, the town of Graaff-Reinet. A short 10 minute scenic flip over town, Spandau Kop and the Valley of Desolation. Flight departs from and arrives back at Graaff-Reinet. Duration 10 min. Price R 3 340 for 1-4 pax.
In the area
Enjoy the beautiful architecture, museums and craft shops in the genteel town of Graaff-Reinet (60km away). Tours can be pre-arranged - view more information.